Gladstone Consulting Ltd.
4 Clifton Terrace, Seapoint Avenue, Monkstown, Co Dublin, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 14453132, Mobile: +353 (0) 87 6688225
- Business Studies Degree -Trinity College Dublin
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- Diploma in Corporate Financial Management – Harvard Business School
My business career was spent in KPMG where I became a Tax Partner in 1982 subsequently specialising in international financial services.
On my retirement from KPMG in 2009 I founded Gladstone Consulting Ltd. During the past seven years, I have been appointed as Non-Executive Director in the capacity of Chairman/ Director in over 10 groups including 19 entities regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Corporate Governance is a key part of these roles, my expertise has crossed many industries including Life Assurance, Mutual Funds, Aviation Finance, Investment, Documentaries and Television drama and Solar Energy.
As a Tax specialist with over 21 years’ experience gained in KPMG, as Member and Chair of Committees and advising financial institutions on establishing operations in Ireland covering banking, securities trading, leasing and mutual funds, I have developed a broad understanding of business issues and strategies and the ability to Chair and contribute on boards and committees. Although no longer able to advise on tax in detail I still know the questions to ask.
What motivates me is getting involved in companies that require strategic input, challenging the status quo, inspiring individuals to reach their goals and grow their skills. I believe I am calm under pressure and can discuss critical matters and provide a supportive approach.
Taking on new challenges and spotting opportunities in the market are the drivers in my life. Some notable opportunities during my career are:
- Specialised for more than 20 years in international financial services tax culminating in becoming KPMGs Global Leader.
- Investing in a diverse portfolio of interests including Film Production and Start-Ups
- A deep understanding of the Aviation finance industry including acting as a Director of Milestone Aviation Group the world’s largest helicopter lessor.
- Instigated the creation of the KPMG Financial Services as the firm’s response to the formation of the IFSC. I travelled throughout Europe, Asia, US and South Africa giving seminars and workshops to promote and develop the new opportunity within Ireland.
- Devised the Global “Frontiers in Tax” periodical for KPMG, this was a new global concept and required the development of an editorial team.
- Assisted the Government of Botswana in developing its own financial services centre through drafting the necessary tax legislation and advising on necessary regulations issues.
Non-Executive Directorships include:
- Chairman AEGON Ireland
- Chairman BNRG Renewables
- Chairman Coronation Capital
- Director and Chair of Audit Committee BlackRock’s Irish Fund Companies
- Director Milestone Aviation Group (2000 -2014)
- Director Fexco Aviation Services
During my career with KPMG I have significantly contributed to the firm in roles that included:
- Chairman KPMG Global Funds Network
- Member of KPMG Global Bank Tax Group
- Chairman KPMG Ireland Tax Practice
- Member of the Policy Committee – KPMG Ireland
- Member of KPMG EMA Tax Executive Board
- KPMG Head of Global Financial Services Tax
While in KPMG I honed my skills in these extra-curricular roles.
- 1985-95 Member of Economic Affairs Committee Dublin Chamber of Commerce
- 1993-02 Member of the Taoiseach’s Working Group on the Funds Industry
- 1998-06 Member of Council - Irish Funds Industry Association (IFIA) (Chairman - 2000-01)
- 1998-07 Member of the Irish Financial Services Industry (FSI) Tax Committee
- 2003-07 Member of Taoiseach’s Working Group on Banking and Treasury